To be (angry) or not to be (angry)

I wrote this originally on 30 December 2012, as a part of my It’s Okay to be Angry blog about violation. I’ve re-posted it on Reibus. Please read...it probably relates to you, too.


Anger can be a debilitating emotion.  It can also be a very motivating and inspiring emotion.  The challenge is to know whether your anger is destructive or constructive.

Most anger management instruction I have read tells me to "forgive".  Well I can't forgive the action that made me angry.  It was a violation of the very essence of my identity.   I've had to live with it my entire adult life.  Why shouldn't I be angry?  Why should I forgive?


I read that "repressed memory" was a load of crap, but I know different - I suppressed memories of what happened to me for 19 years before they flooded back to haunt me.  Now I can't get rid of them, no matter how I try. 


I often wondered why there were so many books and articles written by women who had been violated in the most horrific ways.  I realised that it was cathartic - the healing was in the writing, reliving the experience in words that could explain the emotions: the hurt, the shock, the distrust, the recoil, the disbelief, the self-doubt.  The anger.


I decided it's okay to be angry.


I want to reach women who can't express their anger, who still feel that they are the guilty ones.  I want them to know that being angry is okay, that they shouldn't feel - or be made to feel - bad because they are angry.  Violation of mind and body is life changing.  I know there are men who are violated as well, and it is not in any way my intention to marginalise them.  But I can't speak from their experience, only from the perspective of a woman's anatomy.


So welcome to my journey, and if it becomes "our" journey may we use our anger constructively to help each other.


Because it's okay to be angry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unemployment Benefit vs Wages

Keep writing

A Visit from the Aneurysm Angel