If I were a rich man

From my long years as a volunteer at Drury Lane Theatre where I grew up, I had heard the music so many times from the show "Fiddler on the Roof". The song "If I Were a Rich Man" always got me singing with it. I recently heard it again - so this time it lead into a warble of being rich, whether men or women.


If I were a rich man... I'd think I'm lucky
Just turn off thoughts of this
I'm not a man
I'm not ever rich
I'd like, though, to live on in bliss!

My name's not Fiddler (though sometimes I wish)
I've never been on a roof
Except when I built
My own first home...
The sale was a burden of proof!

If I was a woman... that's gender correct...
Do I turn this saying off too?
I've got female breasts
And other women stuff
But I'm treated like I said "I do"

I used my brain many years ago
I'd tested okay most times
If I was thoughtful
Thinking ahead
I'm not sure I'd still use these rhymes!

My name's not May or Jane or Kate
I changed what I was called long ago
Except not a bitch
And not radical
(But definitely feminist though!)

I walk every day - at least, I should...
My present memory's just passed!
I sometimes read
And often I write
I think I've done more than was asked!

My weeks fly on, I've got much to do
I'm living my life still quite bold
Just scars on my head
My feet are flat
And my body feels like fool's gold!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unemployment Benefit vs Wages

Keep writing

A Visit from the Aneurysm Angel